News - Reflecting on 2017
The JTD BESI Trust
In 2016, in anticipation of the 30th Anniversary of JT Dooley Contracting (Pty) Limited, the Directors registered the J T Dooley Black Employees Share Incentive Trust Fund when 51% of the shares of the company were transferred for the benefit of all black employees and contractors.
The Trustees of the JTD BESI Trust are:
- Conrad Segeel. The oldest son of Company Director Peter Segeel, Conrad has a Degree in Marketing and since 2013 he has been employed full time as the Human Resources Manager. The friendship and business relationship between the Segeel and Dooley families spans three generations.
- Diane Ndlovu has celebrated 20 years in the companies employment. She was poached from Gardena (Pty) Ltd by Debbie Dooley (Company Accountant and wife of Director Mike Dooley) where they met in the early 1990’s and struck up a lifelong friendship.
- Rashad Pandor (LLB) Director at Pandor Attorneys.
In September 2017, all 58 members of the Trust received their first Profit Share pay-out. It was a very proud moment for the Directors, and the culmination of years of negotiations and paperwork.
Staff Education Fund
The Company has always sought to operate on more than just good corporate governance principles. The Staff Education Fund continues to provide vital finances and opportunities to black applicants from both within the company and without. Some of our more notable contributions in 2017 were:
- the awarding of two R50 000 bursaries to 2nd Year B.Comm Rhodes University students
- five staff members were assisted with school/university fees
- four adult children of staff were sent on various training courses which included air cabin crew training and welding
- the company paid for flights to Cape Town for the Sicelo Development Hockey Team (Meyerton) so that they could experience their first sports tour
- two staff members obtained their drivers licences after the company paid for their lessons
Fostering family-like relationships with staff has been rewarded with loyalty and staff that are incentivised to deliver on their respective mandates. With each employee holding value within the company, and both the company and staff feeling appreciated in respect to each other, the company continues to deliver on its various projects.